5.16.2005

End of an Era ...

Well kiddies, this is it. I've finally decided to retire forever from playing flag football. Why, you ask? Hmm ...perhaps a top 10 list will cover it.

1. The refs suck. No, I mean REALLY suck. Badly. So. Sick. Of. That. Shit.
2. I'm turning 33 this year. (Gasp!) I'm not the speed demon I used to be, and I'm nowhere near big enough to be an effective lineman. The football skills and instincts are all still there, but that year layoff after seperating my AC joint in my right shoulder really killed my speed.
3. I just don't have the time or patience to hit the gym and get back what I lost as referred to in #2.
4. I have better things to do with my Saturdays ...such as housework, laundry, watching the grass grow. Getting annoyed at my lack of playing time while watching the refs screw my team over yet AGAIN is not placing ahead of anything in my "love to do" list.
5. We stopped going to get beer and pizza after games. Fuck that. This team was built on beer and pizza. Take that away, and what you get is a bunch of sweaty, sober guys playing a game. Whee.
6. Did I mention that the refs SUCK?
7. In general, I'm just not having any fun anymore. Would you go and get your skull caved in every week, for little to no reason at all? No? See my point?
8. I can't afford new football gear ...yeah, that's it ...my gear is old, and I'm too cheap to replace it ...yep ...
9. My family and friends are far more a priority to me than wasting 2 hours of my Saturday to get in on 5 minutes of gametime. Were I still able to start on the team, perhaps I would be less inclined to retire. Alas, this is not the case.
10. I'm sure I've said it ...but to reiterate ...the refs SUCK.

At least it was fun while it lasted. Maybe I'll go to a couple of games next season and watch. Probably not ...

On the upside, playing flag football had to be one of the best things of my week ...up until last season, I constantly looked forward to the weekend, and the game. Hated rainouts, and loved being on the field. Now that has changed for me ...I don't look forward to going and watching other people play. Not worth my time or effort to go looking for some other team to prove myself with.

So, good luck, Pigskins, and maybe one of these days I'll see you at beer and pizza after you win a championship.

:: My mood meter reads -- Blue (Cubed) ...

No comments: